Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another excerpt from my book on motherhood

I am posting another little excerpt from my book on motherhood. This one is more like a journal entry than an excerpt because I haven’t don’t the first bit of editing on it yet. I really want to highlight how being a mom opened my eyes up to the generations before me and how that added richness to my life. Any of you out there had a similar experience? I would love to know about it.


Love,

Kerri LB xoxo



Far From Ordinary

I remember shortly after I had my first child, my beautiful daughter Kaylan, (who is now 10) I experienced a period of real loneliness. My mother was working, my sister was working, and I was the first among all of my close friends to have a baby. At 27 years old, it sometimes felt like life was passing me by. All of a sudden I wasn’t free to go out to dinner whenever I wanted, or just grab a cup of coffee. I was at home with a baby all day, and sometimes all night, with no one to talk to. My husband was still new in his ministry career and was working many long days. I often felt lonely and isolated. Even though I loved my beautiful new baby girl, I craved adult interaction. It wasn’t anything tragic. It was just that sometimes I felt like my brain was turning into mashed bananas!

One day the bright idea struck me to visit my grandmother, my mother’s mom, with my new baby. The fact was she was the only one available. My grandmother’s name was Evelyn Gertrude Louque Boyle. She was really the spiritual matriarch of our family, but in no way would I describe her as “formidable.” In fact, she was just the opposite. She was down to earth, funny, and a little mischievous. She wore these thick glasses with silver cat-eye frames that had little rhinestones in the corners for most of my life. Her daily uniform was a house coat and slippers from TG&Y. Most of the week, or at least every time I saw her, she had her hair in pink foam rollers set with Dippty Do. She took her rollers out and put on a dress for Sunday church services and then put them back on again on Monday. Her favorite things to do were to wake up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and go to garage sales, draw, read the Bible, pray, and feed people.

We were close, but because I was always going to school or working, I had not had the time to spend visiting with her as much as I would have liked. She called me frequently, but I am ashamed to admit that I did not always pick up the phone or return her calls. Now, however, I hoped that she would be available for me. I was so desperate to talk to someone who used words to communicate and not 100 decibel shrieks. She was a widow and she could not drive, so I was pretty sure she’d be home.

When I drove up, she was so glad to see me. She flung open the front door, and came padding out to meet me in her housecoat and slippers. I remember walking into my grandmother’s house and feeling immediately relaxed. As we talked, she brought something very valuable into my life – long term perspective. Here was a woman who raised four children and lived through the great depression. She was a pioneer of salvation in her family, the first of many to be saved. She was a giver to the poor that frequently came to her house in need of food or clothing. She had lived a lot of life, some of it really tough. But she kept her faith in God and her love for His Word the most important things in her world.

From her vantage point it was pretty clear which things matter in the long run and which things don’t. She encouraged me to put love, forgiveness, and trust before my own selfish needs. She encouraged me to slow down and embrace this season of life, because laundry and work will always be with me. She laughed at things that other moms my age were freaking out about, knowing that in about a week or two none of it would matter. She had the time to listen to me and to pray for me. In return, I was able to take her on errands that she couldn’t go on alone. I took her to the grocery store, to the fruit stand, to the bank – just small errands that made a big difference to her.

My grandmother and I became unlikely companions that year. I came to know her in a new way. I learned about her childhood, about my own history, and about my family in a way I couldn’t have from any other person. In a bittersweet way, I saw that aging really does make it more difficult to change your habits and perspectives, but I also learned to honor that season of life by gleaning the wisdom from her life and experience. Yes, the world was vastly different when she was raising her children (and I must say that I am very glad for that – I like 21st century life!) But so much of what I gathered from our time together was timeless in its appeal and application. Mostly I learned that generations standing together are stronger than generations standing alone. Shortly after my daughter’s first birthday, we moved to Jacksonville, Florida to start Celebration Church. I was so thankful for the time I had with my grandmother, and I missed her companionship.

My grandmother crossed the line into eternity in January of 2007. I had the honor of presiding over her funeral. Two things about her life stood out to me as I was preparing the eulogy:

She gave God what appeared to be an average life by any earthly standard, but He breathed on it and made it great. The dictionary defines greatness as, “extraordinary powers; having unusual merit; very admirable.” To the human eye, I am sure that her life seemed far from great. But to the Father’s eyes I am confident that it was admirable and worthy of merit.
Because of her “Yes” to God, three generations were clothed in salvation. I am standing on her shoulders now because she stood up for God. I owe my success to this poor widow from Baton Rouge, Louisiana because she stood, often alone, and believed God for her family to come to Christ.

So maybe since you’ve just had a baby, you feel like your world has gotten a little smaller in some ways. I want to encourage you not to mistake “smaller” for “less important.” There are God opportunities in every minute of your day. Ask God to show you those moments. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you in that still, small voice and breathe life into the ordinary places in your daily life. Don’t waste your season, embrace it. Because this is not a break from kingdom purpose, it’s just a different battle ground.

Remember that there may be friends in unlikely places. Maybe you don’t have a grandmother like I did, but I guarantee you that there are some awesome, mature women of God whose company you would love and who would be blessed by your friendship as well.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Pastor Kerri- thank you so much for your willingness to share from your heart. This was so touching, and brought tears to my eyes. I needed to be reminded of this today. Thank you. Lindsey Vartanian

Anonymous said...

I'm reading through blurry, teary eyes, during a time when I needed to be reminded about this the most. Though my children are not babies anymore, at 5 and 3 they need me to be that spiritual role model; putting aside my own selfish ambitions and create a life of lasting memories and not day-to-day worries. Being the first in many generations of my family to live a God-first life, I am grateful for those "Titus" women ahead of me that have, as you say Pastor Kerri, "reached back" to show me the way. My prayer for all new moms is that they would seek out that guidance in their life to be an example, just like your Grandma Evelyn.
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Blessings,
Carrie Wyatt

Anonymous said...

Pastor Kerri,

Your words blessed me soooo much! My kids are all in school now and I work full time during the day, but I can still remember the earlier years when I was at home, alone. There were many, many days that I felt alone, isolated, and depressed. I would accept telemarketer calls just so I could have adult conversations! Thank you for your willingness to share and I can't wait to read the book.

Be blessed,
LeAnna B.

Corrine said...

Definitely brought tears to my eyes. My mom was the trail blazer for Jesus in our lives. And now that I am a stay at home mom of two, I have nothing but gratitude for my mom. She stood alone so may times in her faith. It has really opened my eyes to how important a realtionship with Jesus is and how it brings so much freedom and joy. It is truly humbling to now understand after having my own and remembering the sacrifices my mom made. What a gift to pass down through the generations of our families. There is so much to learn from our previous generations to bless the present and future generations! Things that are important to God are so different from what is important to the world. Thank you so much for sharing. It is a great reminder. Corrine

Amy said...

As an expectant mother I have definately felt in certain ways that my life is getting "smaller". However, I love your refreshing confirmation that even though it may feel "smaller" it isn't "less". I am excited about the blessing God has poured upon my life as a woman, wife & soon to be mother. I wait expectantly for he new friendships, wisdom, experiences & blessings that are waiting up ahead. Thank you for wrapping such perfect words, about your experiences, around a story that can encourage, lift & relate to so many of us out here! Reading the definition on greatness gives such hope to this thing called "life" that we're living & how we all approach it! My goal is to savor every "small" moment that comes my way. Thank you for renewing & revamping my perspective!
Love, laughs & joy~
Amy Rosa

Amy said...

Awesome Word Kerri!! I too, had a very wise, peaceful,loving grandmother whom I was very lucky to have live with me until I moved out and got married. She was an incredible inspiration to me, and still is! Although she is now in eternity also, I know I am a living legacy, I will pass on her words of wisdom, and hopefully her generosity and witty sense of humor to my own daughers. Thanks again for reminding us to embrace where we are in season. For this too shall pass, and we may miss it if we don't embrace it and live in the moment! Much Love and Blessings! Amy B.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, it brought tears to my eyes, for two reasons:
one is because I'm going through a season in my life that all my kids are gown and out of the house. I was thinking this morning who could I talk to that has been where I am, and I couldn't think of anyone. Reason two is that my father is 84 years old and I don't spend nearly enough time with him.
This encourages me to make time to spend with him. I know there are nuggets of wisdom that he would love to impart in me.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kerri,
I smiled all the while I read your touching yet powerful story. I could see your grandmother "padding" down her sidewalk to embrace you. I rejoiced that the Lord had so ordered your steps to broaden your perspective on life. I fell in love with Evelyn and savored with you the memories that have lasted a lifetime and beyond!
It is so true that difficult and trying circumstances are the gateways that open to amazing blessings WHEN a vessel is surrendered before the Lord!

I love your writing style. It invites the reader into your world and and leaves him restored and refreshed. Your story was one that had to be read from beginning to end. One could not toss it aside. The power and purity of your message is an inspiration in an age when motherhood is often placed on the back burner for more " lofty" aspirations.
The comments left by my sisters in Christ also stirred me. We are so blessed to have these godly women in our midst. Thank you to ALL!
Love,
Margie Houmes

Julia said...

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said. This is a beautiful excerpt - well written and touching. Becoming a mom much earlier than I should have, I felt isolated and alone as well, and because of being alone I have had to be everything to them and felt "not much" to me. While the world is so determined not to "get older", it is nothing short of God's perfect plan how we mature and start to see through the eyes of those who were parents before us and how much more they sacrificed than we do. I have often looked into the face of a mother or grandmother and seen the lines of wisdom and thought "what a beautiful woman" and looked at her children and thought "I want to be a mom like that".

Thank you Kerri....God obviously knew what he was doing when he chose you as "Mom".

Robin said...

Pastor Kerri,
That was an awesome excerpt from a much anticipated book...I love the little nuggets you extend to us and the inspiration that it gives is much needed to so may for so many different reasons...I had 1 spiritual mentor who was not a blood relative but is no longer around and she certainly was the example of JC in my life and I hope to be the same for my son...who's initials are JC for a very special reason...;) Take Care!

Anonymous said...

This excerpt really hit home with me. My grandmother, also known as Nona to us, has become a very important part in my life the last 12 years. My mother, her daughter-in-law, died unexpectedly in 1995. I was devestated because I was very close to my mother. My grandmother stepped in as my mother role model. She has been there to listen to my struggles of raising kids, working, trying to balance life between a family, work and futhering my education.

I recently went to visit my grandmother because we have discovered she has a heart block that they cannot do any surgical intervention for, so all they can do is add to her medication and hope it helps to prolong her life. As soon as I heard this I had to go visit her as I had not seen her in some months. I could not let the last time I see her be so long ago.

After my mother passed, I had another baby a few years later, which I named in honor of both my mother figures in my life, my mom and my grandmother.

Erica said...

Kerri,
You have been such a transparent, tangible, inviting leader to all of the women at Celebration, and I can truly see how you are expanding yourself to reach many more in your lifetime, and with your legacy. You have insight, passion, and humor. All of these things people long for in a leader.
When I read this it shows me how you have allowed God to change your perspectives through your circumstances and experiences.This is what God has asked of us.
I am glad and reaping the benefits of your obedience and love for Jesus.

I thank my Mother, all of her sleepless nights of prayer, fasting
and standing firm on her faith, she never let God forget His promise to her, for my salvation and ulitmately the call over my life.
In turn, now I am reminding God of that daily for my daughter, and showing her His faithfullness.

Kerri...You remind people of the glory He has placed in their lives...What an awesome gift..
We women, as you have empowered us to proclaim, are daughthers, princesses, and warriors of the Most High God... in that.. we can come up out of depression, shout out loud our salvation, laugh with
others about His mystery, and reach out to a broken world. Thanks for imparting on us His heart and what He has done in your life...
Keep on keeping on...
You are a blessing.
Erica

Gail said...

When I read this yesterday, I sat with tears in my eyes. I was reminded that the time we have been given is so precious. With the ongoing happenings of our daily life, it'd too often that we forget about those people who were there for us when we had "nothing else better to do or no place else to go."
When I went to Missouri recently for my grandfather's furneral, I came home very homesick. It's really been on my heart lately to find some way to get back up north to visit my mom's family and my dad's as most of them have not ever met my daughter or my husband.
Thank you for reminding me keep in contact with my grandparents - there's so much that I can still learn, and need to.

AdoptedAsHisOwn said...

Loved this post! I just clicked your blog from Dan's. Your Grandmother.....What a blessing. I just love her spirit (probably because it mirrored her Lord!!!!!)

Jan Crisostomo said...

My Mom has been a tremendous example for me. She showed me unconditional love. It didn't matter what I did...and there were a lot of ugly things done and even said to her...she continued to love me. Whenever I was in the hospital, she would start and end each day with me, no matter how tired she was. I left home so many times, and she always welcomed me back. Just like our Heavenly Father...He is there for us at the beginning and end of each day, and it doesn't matter what we do; He continues to loves us and forgive us. My Mother is my example for how to treat my girls. I will always be there for them and love them, with God's help...and remembering all the love she poured into me.

Banana said...

That was an awesome excerpt, Kerry.
It brought so many memories of my own Grandma, who passed away on my birthday 3 years ago. She was 103!
Her life revolved around her grandkids and great-grandkids, the Lord, music, household shores, etc.
I am so glad I took my son all the way down home in Central America as a baby, for her to meet him. She could not get over the fact I had a blue eyed baby boy! ha!ha!
I miss her so much...she was the sun of our family. The promise of an eternal life after this one, puts a smile on my late-boomer face. I know she will be waiting for me with her open arms and wide smile up there.

Thanks Kerry, for reminding me there's more in life than all the never ending struggles of raising a kid as a single mom.

Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful Pastor Kerri. Way to follow God's heart in posting this story. I am at home with a 16 month old and expecting another baby in about 7 weeks. Although I used to be very active with doing God's work with all age groups I have felt that since becoming a mother I don't have time right now, that this isn't a season for me to step up to the importance of God's work with people other than my family. This story is a huge wake up call for me that God doesn't want me to step down, but just to step over to different places and people to love on for God. Thanks again for the reminder; you coupled with Jesus are AWESOME. Love you!
Sarah Byrd

Rachael said...

This summer i was offered a job to work in a gym just for women where i am the only woman under 25. It is a Christian based business, but not all the people that come to work out are Christians, or if they are, I've come to find through our conversations that they are the type Stovall preached on last Sunday that keep people out of church. Although they are so unhappy, they never resist the opportunity to talk to me. I have to pray before i walk into work sometimes because I want to shake them and tell them that I don't know the Jesus they talk about! My jesus doesn't care if a pastor wears jeans or not or if we sing from words on a screen. But what he showed me through your post was that Jesus isn't about me stopping at getting angry at them, but He's all about unity. Uniting the generations. He is using them to show me things about him, and He is using me to show them what they never learned. Your blog showed me how important is is tO respect them and love them more than ever. I printed up your post and put it on the counter for them to take home and read after they left. Thank you for reminding me that every inconvience is an opportunity to love and unite, and really in the end of all of this-Jesus will get the glory, his generations will unite, the Earth will look more and more like heaven and by the grace of God, I get to learn a little something too.

Tina said...

When I read this piece on your blog, I sat and relished in each word. Why you might ask? Well, my mother passed away from cancer when I was 16 and my father had passed away before her. At 16 I was very alone and everything that I had known was takne away including my 2 younger brothers. My life was turned upside down. The person that was there for me as much as I would let her was my Grandmother. I pushed away from her for a very long time. Then almost 3 years ago I had my first child, a daughter. I brought her to visit my family in WI a year ago and my Grandmother fell in love with her instantly. I watched the 2 of them together and wondered why I pushed her away for so long. I had been thinking about making the trip back to WI for Thanksgiving this year, but had not made the final decision because the tickets are pricey. After reading this blog, I have made the decision to purchase those tickets and to go and see my Grandmother and the rest of my family. I sometimes call my Grandmother and ask her about what her life was like when she was younger. I want to learn all I can before she passes to eternity. Thank you for this wonderful post, it made a difference in my life today.

Powered By Blogger