Saturday, June 9, 2007

I Plead Ignorance


Wow -- from the posts under trivial bits regarding socialized medicine, I can see that some of you have really done a lot of thinking about this issue. I will readily admit that I am the last person in the world to listen to on that topic. Lisa is right in saying that exisiting government funded health care can be disasterous. I experienced that with my grandmother when she became ill. Also, the idea of the government having control of our health IS scary. I don't like the fact that my Dr. gets to tell me how many vaccines my kids have to get at once. On the other hand, the fact the medical profession, medical care, pharmeceutical industry, and insurance industries are driven by profit means that they have to look at the bottom line before they consider the people they are treating. At the very least money and people must be equal in terms of how decisions are made. I know there are lots of awesome health care professionals out there who are truly sincere and compassionate. But the "machine" of health care is driven by profit, so I have have to wonder then if something driven by profit can truly also be driven by compassion. I think not because of the principle that you can't serve 2 masters. If I sound ignorant about this topic, it's because I am. I'm just really looking into to it, so don't listen to me. Find out for yourself. Not that I think we will ever see an overhaul of that system in our country. I think NGO's (non-government organizations) will have to take up the slack left by the system, which means the church has wonderful opportunity to show love in a practical way.

BTW -- anyone interested in possibly bring some elderly from a nearby nursing home to the traditional service at 8:30 AM at DW when it starts? Someone suggested that on their comment card, and I thought it was a great idea. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Love,
Kerri
LBxoxo

3 comments:

Julia said...

Mornin all,

I have just been cruising the internet and am really enjoying this blog site. So much about the church I don't know still, and it's a good feeling to be able to realize the staff as people. I didn't know the Stines were gone!! They in Washington, DC?? I am from NH. Don't miss the north, but am glad to see someone like them head there.

Anyways, I will start to get ready for church now. We have been enjoying the Annex. Such a great idea. Still interested in your writings, Kerri, if you're able to comment on them.

Unknown said...

I am with you Kerry. Take for instance the issue with vaccine against the human papillomavirus (HPV. Telling parents that it is manadtory for their young girls to have this vaccine. Government has no business telling us what we should give our kids. The sad thing is that even Medical students are being brain wash in to thinking that the pharmacutial industry is on their side when they get out of school.

mandie said...

Hi,
Quick question. Do we have a ministry for older adults? I know this sounds crazy but I would love to adopt a grandma for my children. All of our family lives out of state and I feel like my children are really missing out not having an older adult in their lives. I have 2 year old twins and I feel like they can offer a lot of joy to an older person who may not have family close by. Thank you for your assistance.
Mandie

Powered By Blogger