Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Trivial Bits


So, as I have been under the weather lately, I have spent some time at home and had the opportunity to watch a lot more TV than normal -- an embarrasing amount of the Food Network and TLC and Oprah. So here are some little bits of trivia that I have to get out of my system:



  • I like Paula Dean more than Rachel Ray. Annabelle likes to watch her with me and we call her the "Country Grandma." Her food is some kind of unhealthy, but boy does the sight of it make your mouth water!

  • Speaking of Rachel Ray, I read that Oprah has designated her as the "Heiress Apparent" of her daytime TV legacy. But I'm confused about how a show based on cooking can fill the spot Oprah leaves when she (reportedly) retires in 2010. It's interesting to watch RR try to incorporate the various aspects of daytime talk shos into ther show. I like her though -- I think she'll work it out.

  • I think I might be a proponent of socialized medicine. I know "Socialized" is a word that conjures up images of Nazi Germany for a lot of people, but after travelling to other countries -- particularly Australia -- I see that there are situations in which this can work. Did you know that 50 million people in America are uninsured and that just because you have insurance doesn't mean that you will get coverage for your illnesses? Did you know that America ranks 37th in the world in providing health coverage for it's citizens, behind Costa Rica? Just kind of opened my mind to another way of thinking about something.

  • Does everybody really floss daily, or is that just an ideal that we should all aspire to?

Ok, now that you probabaly think I've got way too much time on my hands, le me say I have been working on several books but have hit a creative block...ARRRGH!!Ususally I just have to wait for my brain to clear and hope the creativity comes back. What about you? What do you do when you get a creative block? I'd love some tips! LBxoxo

6 comments:

Julia said...

Maybe you could write about a woman, when all the "fluff" is put aside. Just a true woman of God. One who could be considered beautiful - without any makeup - because of what God has made her. Sometimes I resent being so much part of a world that only sees you if you have a perfect body and/or look a certain way. I've always admired women of wisdom. Too bad there's so few. julia

Erica said...

Hey Kerri!
First, I want to say I love how you are you, just you, it makes me feel better being me, just me!... and about the T.V. thing don't feel bad, sometimes it does our minds good just to veg! Sometimes mine is on overdrive so much... it needs a rest!
I love the comment about the health ins., I think about that so often. Why is it so easy for Canada to have free health care, aren't WE one of the richest nations?
Oh and I think flossing twice a week is sufficent.
One tip for mental fuzzies...
When I get a brain fog, I take a long bath, with low lighting and candles... and I sing... not a certain song, but a song in my heart... and I ask for revelation... and it usually comes shortly there after...
Girl, I pray for sunny days for you!!
Love you and Pastor Stovall... you all rock for the Kingdom!
~Erica

Jan Crisostomo said...

Hiya Kerri,
As for the health insurance thing..seeing I come from Northern Ireland I know a bit about national insurance. It is not the
lovely solution it sounds like. The people get taxed quite highly to have this "insurance". However,
you don't get treatment when you need it. For example,
my aunt had to wait more than THREE MONTHS to get her arm fixed! The nightmare stories about national medicine are unending, believe me.
You are TOLD what medicines you are allowed to take. Most people in the UK are paying the extra money to be able to go to private doctors and private hospitals...why? The national ones are not that good! Also, you have to wait forever to get in to see them. Believe me, they would prefer our system any day!
It is not a quick fix to the situation here in the states.
Love ya girl! I do appreciate the comment on floss...it is so hard for me to discipline myself to do it everyday! jan

Julia said...

Why are you under the weather? Have you had the flu, etc.? Am interesting in your writing as I am a writer as well (amateur). Always writing something......

Unknown said...

On the socialized healthcare topic, I'm surprised to read that you think this might be a viable option for Americans. There are enough examples in this country and others of how terribly governments handle tax money and administrate programs for the citizens. Let's face it....government does NOTHING efficiently.

Aside from that, the real discussion should be...."What should government provide for citizens and what should citizens be responsible for themselves?" The Constitution only provides for a strong national defense. The other programs we have today are simply a way for politicians to buy votes and gain increasing power. In my opinion, putting important decisions about health, life and death in the government's hands is a very scary proposition.
Lori

nursetinkheather said...

Hi Kerri!
Hope you're feeling better! No worries about watching Food Network and TLC...sometimes the shows can be very inspiring to make new things. I've never caught Paula, but love Rachael's energy...and those quick meals that get me in the kitchen more!

It's SOOO sad how many uninsured there are, but even sadder what a lack of coverage those of us who are insured have. Meaning, we think we have insurance and we're covered for being sick, but it's actually worse b/c you have to pay out of pocket anyway b/c so many things aren't covered.

Not to mention, those who are uninsured often get great health care, if they don't mind the county hospital. I work at our local "county" hospital where the majority of our patients are uninsured, and they have great care! Often sacrificing an extra week in the hospital for a $50k surgery they pay $0 for -that said, they do have to be really sick, so that's the definite down side! Like, instead of having preventative care, they can wait a few years, get good and sick, and have free coverage. Crazy! Flossing? I think it's over-rated.

When I get a creative block...hmmm...I usually put on HGTV, TLC, or Food Network -depending on what the block is...LOL!

Powered By Blogger